Sunday, November 02, 2008







Vegetable box art. In the quest for the unsophisticated and the unintentionally odd in graphic design I offer these examples of fruit shop cardboard boxes. I had to snap these screenprinted goodies with my roving camera. First is a broccoli box from Channel Farm, Kinross. As this produce is from Scotland I was happy to read the slogan "Builds Braw Bodies". But can anyone tell me why has the boxes designer included an illustration of a braw female body who looks like Marsha Hunt circa 1969, complete with frizzy afro hairstyle and psychedelic bell-bottoms? And how about the cauliflower box also above? No self-respecting Mac carrying designer would dare go for the anthropomorphic angle these days but here we have a cauli with not only a hideous grin but also disturbingly long eyelashes. I hope this vegetable countenance never visits me in a future nightmare...



2 comments:

TIW said...

My favourite was the badly-drawn skateboarder holding two huge apples. Sadly, I can't recall the name of the grower. When I worked at Morisson's as a kid (until I was sacked for arguing) I must have shifted hundreds of those apple boxes.

John Bagnall said...

I'm sure I've seen that one lately! The good thing about these veg boxes is they're not subject to much updating.